The department was founded in 2014.
The history of the department is associated with the names of well-known scholars who, through their fruitful work, contributed to the development of Ukrainian historical science. Among them are Doctor of Historical Sciences, professor, Turkologist Igor Fedorovych Chernikov - founder of the academic institutions department of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, doctor of historical sciences, professor, diplomat, sineologist Leonid Avdiyovych Leshchenko, doctor of historical sciences, professor, Africanist Victor Gura and other well-known experts in the field of oriental studies research and African Studies.
Areas of research of the department:
- History of Asia and Africa in the context of global development;
- historical, cultural and civilizational development of the countries of Asia and Africa;
- history of socio-economic and cultural relations of Ukraine with the countries of Asia and Africa, analysis and forecasting of development of these relations;
- the place of Asia and Africa in world-system transformations in the context of global development;
- civilizational shifts and competing versions of the progress of modernity at the stage of globalization and regionalization.
The Department is engaged in research on the problems of historical development and transformational transformations originating from the powerful peripheral regions of Asia and Africa; revealing the significance of the civilization factor in this process; the definition of the laws of the rise of new centers and formats of integration in the African-Asian space as a component of world historical development.
The topics of the GDR for 2017 - 2019 are:
"Integration Processes in Asian and African Regional Systems in the 21st Century."